Frequently Asked Questions

Payroll Frequently Asked Questions:

What are the different payroll group options?


PAYE tax is deducted from your wage each time you are paid. The amount of PAYE is determined by your tax code and National Insurance category. The tax code is determined by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) based on your expected income, tax allowances, exemptions and reliefs for the full tax year.

Limited Company

If you choose to work through your own Limited Company you will be responsible for paying your own taxes and you must ensure you are compliant with the IR-35 legislation.
For all the rules on IR35 post 6th April 2017 please visit or seek professional advice from your tax advisor or accountant.

Umbrella Company

Medical Professional Personnel Ltd have approved and vetted a number of Umbrella companies. Should you wish to be paid via an umbrella please contact us.
In some cases you can claim expenses through an umbrella company. However the expenses must be for business use only. 

  • Mobile phone, Internet, stationary, faxes, postage & office equipment ( business use only)
  • NMC, GMC and other professional subscriptions
  • Training, uniform, dry cleaning
  • Occupational Health screening and Fit to Work certificate

You mentioned Statutory Pay; does that mean I am eligible for Sick Pay or Maternity Pay?
Yes you are entitled to statutory rates of pay; subject to meeting certain criteria from HMRC:

  • You have been working through MPP for at least 8 weeks for Sick Pay or 26 weeks for Maternity, Paternity and Adoption Pay and earning at least £102 per week during that period.
  • You have a valid Doctors Certificate.

Why am I on BR/0T for a tax code?

A BR Tax Code means you are getting taxed at 20% on your total Taxable income rather than receiving the £9,440 yearly Tax-Free Allowance. There are two reasons for this:

  • If we are not your sole Employer and you are already claiming the Tax-Free allowance from another Employer then you cannot also claim it through MPP
  • You have not sent through a P46 form which we require to change your tax code. If that is the case please fill that out and send to us

When will I be getting my P60?

P60's which are used for your annual tax return will be sent to you by the 31st May. Further Contact Details: If you require any further information on help you can email on or call the team.

When do I have to have my Timesheet sent by?

Timesheets are to be faxed through to 033 3043 4313 or 033 3043 4190 by 8am Monday morning to ensure they are paid by Friday of the same week. Alternatively, they can be sent by post to be received by 8am Monday to the following address: Payroll- Nursing Personnel Level 10 Great West House (GW-1) Brentford, London TW8 9DF

When do I receive payment for these Timesheets?

We run our Pay-Cycle daily. In order to be paid, time-sheets must be received by Nursing Personnel before 08.00am, each day to be paid within two working days. It is the workers responsibility to ensure time-sheets are sent and received on time.

How do I send my timesheet? Timesheets can be sent by post to: Nursing Personnel
Head Office
Great West House (GWH-1)

Timesheets can be emailed to or faxed to 033 3043 4313 or 033 3043 4190

How do I know if my Timesheet has been processed?

This can be easily found by logging on to on the Nurse Portal through Nursing Personnel's website. Once you have logged into your online account please click the Summary of Shifts Tab. Once here if there is a Green Tick next to the shift that means we have received and processed the timesheet you have sent through.

Why can't I call and check if my Timesheet has been received?

Faxed timesheets are actually not received in a Paper form rather in an electronic format. These are then sent individually to Payroll staff to process. This has dramatically improved processing time for Timesheets ensuring all timesheets sent by the cut-off will be paid. Our staff does not have access to check if timesheets are in the queue therefore unfortunately have no way of telling if your timesheet is received. The only thing calling staff will achieve is under-utilising valuable Payroll staff time which can be used to ensure your timesheet would be processed and paid. The best thing to do is send your timesheets well before the cut-off and checking your account on the website. Process time will be a lot quicker during non-peak periods, which are near the cut-off time, and therefore will appear on-line a lot sooner.

Where can I print more Timesheets?

These can be found in the Payroll Information Tab on the Nursing Personnel website.

What do I need filled on my timesheet?

  • Signature by nurse in charge
  • Date of Shift
  • Start and End time of Shift
  • Any breaks taken
  • Reference Number/Cost code (Given by NP co-ordinator or Nurse in charge)
  • Your name and signature

I have just started working through MPP. What forms do you require and what information do you need?

  1. For us to pay you we do need your Bank Details which is your Sort code, Account Number and Account Name.
  2. We need a completed and signed P46 form, which can be found on our Website.
  3. We send texts to let you know when your salary will be paid and we also email payslips to you. Please ensure you provide your co-ordinator with a valid mobile phone number and email address.
The Contact Telephone Number for Nursing Personnel